Dr. Francois Botha
- Qualified in Family Medicine: 1977
- Federation Licensing Examination: 1992.
- Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada: 2001
- Medical degree: MBChB - University of Pretoria, South Africa, 1977
- Residencies: Tygerberg Hospital, Cape Town South Africa.
- Medical Director Golden Ears Family Practice and Walk-in Clinic
Dr. Botha graduated from the University of Pretoria and finished his residency training in General Medical Practice, with extended training in General Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery at Tygerberg Hospital.
Dr. Botha entered Family Practice in 1982 and worked in the Towns of Kenhardt and Cape Town in South Africa and in Leader, Saskatchewan before moving to Maple Ridge in 2002.
Dr. Botha co-founded the Golden Ears Family Practice. He serves as one of the owners and medical directors today.
Dr. Botha's approach to medicine is Evidence Based and Patient Centered. He believes that medical interventions should be proven and Peer Reviewed before routinely applied to his patients and that Patient consultations should be sensitive to a patient’s real needs and expectations.
Dr. Botha has a keen interest in Medical Informatics and is keenly watching the progress to a Pan-Canadian Electronic Health Record System. He is also proud to have, with his colleagues, recently switched over to an Electronic Health Record System to improve patient Care.
Dr. Ian Hyams [Link to Website]
- Dr Hyams completed his medical degree at the University of Pretoria in 1987, South Africa
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduate (ECFMG) Certification, completed in the USA in 1999.
- Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada completed in 2007.
- Residency program: Dr Hyams completed a full residency program at Grey’s Hospital, Pietermaritzburg, Natal, South Africa
Dr Hyams became a graduate from the University of Pretoria, School of Medicine in 1987. He was appointed Research Assistant at the Cheney Clinic in North Carolina, USA where he developed an interest in treating Fibromyalgia and related conditions. He gained further experience treating chronic pain and fatigue at the Essex Neuroscience Unit in the United Kingdom and was appointed Assistant Clinical Director. Dr Hyams continued to practice in Harley Street, London, as a private GP with an interest in fibromyalgia.
Dr Hyams is also one of the co-founders of Golden Ears Family practice and one of the owners and Medical Directors.
Dr Hyams is delighted to be practicing medicine in the Maple Ridge region. He has a special interest and expertise in the management of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. His philosophy of medicine emphasizes the close relationship between doctor and patient with the goal of optimizing personal health and well-being. When not working Dr Hyams enjoys spending time with his wife and 3 children, skiing and relaxing playing music.
Dr. Ursula Luitingh
- Qualified in Family Medicine in 1992
- Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada completed in 2007
- Medical degree: MBChB completed at the University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Residencies: Completed in Barberton, South Africa
She practiced for 9 years in South African before moving to Canada with her family in 2001.Dr Luitingh began her practice in Canada in Manitoba before moving to the Maple Ridge area.
She is a co-founder and Medical Director for Golden Ears Family Practice and Walk in Clinic. Dr Luitingh acts as current Vice President of the Medical Advisory Committee.
Dr Luitingh’s passion about medicine is to unite the doctors and patients together as a health maintaining partnership, taking equal responsibility in achieving optimal health standards. Dr Luitingh believes that a practice catering for all members of the family is an essential service for the community.
She has a special interest and expertise in the management of woman’s health and looks forward to heading up a unique woman’s health clinic in the new practice. Dr. Luitingh lives with her family in Maple Ridge.
Dr Hendrik Henstock
- Qualified in Family Medicine in1982
- Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada completed in 2004
- Medical degree: MBChB at University of Stellenbosch, South Africa completed in: 1982.
- Residencies: At Tygerberg Hospital South Africa.
Dr Henstock has been a family physician for 25 years, commencing in South Africa and continuing his practice in Saskatchewan in 1999 and then Maple Ridge since 2005.
Dr Henstock welcomes his family practice patients and also has a particular interest in servicing the walk-in patients. He also welcomes “Crossroads” patients who do not have a family physician and who have seen him on a regular basis.
Dr Henstock, when not working enjoys exploring his artistic side composing music and painting. Dr Henstock lives in Maple Ridge with his wife and 3 children.
Dr Laura Kelly, MD, CCFP (EM)
- Dr Kelly completed her undergraduate BSc - Biology at the University of Western Ontario in 1987.
- She graduated from medical school in 1990 from McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario
- Residency: Family Practice and Emergency residency completed at Queens University, Kingston, Ontario in 1993
Dr Kelly has been happy practicing in Maple Ridge, starting off at Crossroads medical clinic in 1994.
She held the position of chief of Emergency Medicine at Ridge Meadows hospital in Maple Ridge and served as the President of the medical staff from 2004 to 2008. She also chaired the medical advisory committee for the past 2 years. In 2006 she founded the physician wellness committee, and practices yoga for the last 8 years.
Dr Kelly lives with her family in Maple Ridge.
Dr Catherine Pattinson, MB.BS, LMCC
Dr Pattinson trained at the Westminster Hospital in London, UK and qualified in 1982.
Her hospital training was in paediatrics, geriatrics, gynaecology, emergency medicine, internal medicine, orthopaedics and surgery at various hospitals in London,UK.
Her General Practice residency training was in Oxford,UK.
She has worked as a General Practitioner in England, New Zealand and Australia, and since 2001 in Maple Ridge, BC.
Dr Willem Richards, MBChB, LMCC
- Dr Richards qualified at the University of Pretoria in South Africa, completing his medical degree in 1999.
- He carried out his residency program at Jubilee Hospital.
Dr Richards has practiced for 5 years out of Crossroads medical practice. He welcomes his family practice patients to the new clinic.
Besides his family practice, Dr Richards continues to provide an immensely valuable service as standing Chief Hospitalist at Ridge Meadows Hospital. Golden Ears Clinic is delighted to have Dr Richards working out of the clinic and also providing a link with the hospital physicians.
Dr Richards, when not working, has other interests, including spending time with his family, golfing and following his interest in motor vehicles. He lives with his wife and daughter in Maple Ridge.
Liesl is a neurofeedback (biofeedback) therapist who will be offering further services as part of a chronic pain management program in the clinic, in order to improve depression, anxiety and insomnia, often complicating chronic pain.
She has an MA in psychology from the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
Liesl is interested in the following areas:
- Mind-body medicine
- Physical functioning
Julia worked as a medical office assistant at Children’s Hospital in 1991, in the hematology/oncology department.
She stayed at home raising her two sons from 1996 until 2001. At that time she worked as a part time MOA at Crossroads Medical Clinic and now has accepted the position of Office Manager at Golden Ears Family Practice.